In recording Horley through 2015, this was one entry I had not anticipated, the sad sight of Strawson hall in Albert Road the day after a fire which has destroyed much of the building.
The hall is used by a number of community groups, including Horley
Community Pre-School. A refurbishment had only been completed around
18 months ago following a six-year fundraising campaign. The hall began life in the
middle of town and was moved to the far end of Albert Road in the
Surrey Fire and Rescue Service was called just after 1am yesterday after the Hall caught fire. According to press reports Surrey Police has said the blaze was started deliberately.